Monday, January 13, 2014

Real Talk: Girls Season 3 Premiere

Girls is back! It premiered last night with a two-parter that brought us all up to speed with what's been going on with the four girls we aren't always sure we actually like. Hannah and Adam are back together, Shoshanna is actually seen at school and with a book, Marni has been abandoned by Charlie and Jessa is in rehab. I don't love it, but I sure don't completely hate it.


Let's start with the belle of the ball, Hannah. She got herself on meds, she's seeing a therapist and she's managed to mend things up with her editor. She's literally at the best spot she's been in since the show began. But, we all know that this can't last. No one ruins Hannah's life like Hannah though I'm sure she would place some blame on Adam. And, speaking of Adam, how has this man managed to be the wisest (and most honest) person on the show? If we lived life according to the tone Hannah has set for Millennials, we're all supposed to be friends with people we aren't interested in and entering into relationships in which we change ourselves for the other person. Sounds like an earthly version of hell if you ask me (and if you ask Adam). I am once again on this man's team. Also, let's give it up for the audience getting 27 minutes of screen time before Hannah's breasts appeared. This might be a record.



Shoshanna finally has a shot in which she is seen at school! Amazing. Seriously, I waited 3 years for this. I've never seen an undergraduate who had such a fantastic schedule that they literally never stepped foot in a classroom or library. Guess the registrar wasn't working in her favor this semester. Shosh and Ray are still broken up, but we still get to see Ray. This pleases me immensely for he is also wise. If he and Adam had a public access show, I would be sitting in front of my TV at whatever awkward hour it came on.

Not how life goes. Sooo glad Charlie left you bc now I can like him again.

The best thing about Marni is that Charlie has left her. And, by that I mean thank you Christopher Abbott for leaving the show so the character of Charlie would have to be written off/abandon Marni and life on Girls could resemble reality in this situation. Christopher, thank you for giving Charlie his balls back. No one believed that Charlie would EVER get back with Marni. We were all saddened by this man's actions. They have been rectified. Marni, you'll be fine.


Jessa manages to make this show great with some of the glimmers of truth that her character reveals. Sometimes, you experience too much too soon and you have no clue what the consequences will be. Jessa is our chance to see those potential consequences play out. I like that she ends up being disappointed by the older British man in her rehab group. It continues a pattern that she hasn't allowed herself to think about, but that he illuminates for her. She is continually disappointed by the men in her life (her father, her ex-husband, etc.), but in her attempts to never label herself as victim she also turns her back on exploring how those experiences have shaped who she is and what she does. The psychologist in me finds Jessa very fascinating and Hannah a waste of notepaper.


Finally, don't think I've forgotten about Danielle Brooks. We knew that a black female character was coming and we meet Laura in Jessa's rehab therapy group. Laura is there because she huffs paint due to having been molested by her uncle. She is outed as a lesbian by Jessa and then (seemingly) has her first sexual experience with a woman with Jessa. If you want my immediate reaction it was, "fantastic a black woman with a bad hair weave and poor fashion sense who's been molested, has a drug problem and isn't comfortable with her sexuality. I can now see how all of that led to her committing an illegal act that landed her in jail and wait, what show am I watching?" If that wasn't your reaction, I'm happy for you, but it should have been. Let's see where this goes...

All in all, I favored the first episode much more than the second. I'm happy to have Girls back and I hope that they don't make me regret it. Bring on the narcissism and lack of common sense, for it makes it feel like college never ended!

No comments:

Post a Comment