Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Being Mary Jane Season 1 Premiere


BET's Being Mary Jane had its season premiere last night at 10pm EST. The brainchild of Mara Brock Akil and directed by her husband Salim Akil, the show has been highly anticipated since its made-for-TV movie came out last summer and introduced audiences to Miss Mary Jane Paul (Gabrielle Union).

I was more than ready to watch this premiere despite some warning signals that went off in my head due to the movie. I want more black women on screen. The caveat is that I want them in roles that don't fall into the same recycled stereotypes that leave audiences, both black and white, with generalizations about an entire group of people. "Poor successful black women who can't find a man and will never have a family," is not exactly what I deem helpful. Is this a legitimate worry for some black women? Of course. Do I think that these portrayals sometimes exacerbate the worry. Yes, I very much do. But, I guess in the show's defense they did tell us that they weren't attempting to generalize (see the first minute of the movie).

I was entertained by what I saw. I am not denying that. However, I felt that I was watching some kind of mutant version of what I am calling the "Olivia Pope Complex." Mary Jane, like Olivia Pope, is very successful and on top of her game. If there's a scandal call Olivia, if there's a hurricane call Mary Jane. Both women have morals. Olivia has to make things right and Mary Jane voices her opinion without fear when she feels that something is wrong. They both even have Cryuses in their lives. Olivia's is actually named Cyrus. Mary Jane calls her's "Kara" aka her producer who might have just had the SNC audience watch the demise of an elderly couple in hopes of an Emmy nomination. Finally, both women are both sleeping with married men. Sure Olivia aimed all the way high and decided to sleep with the President of the United States, but Mary Jane didn't make too shabby a choice either. Affair anyone?

Some viewers probably feel that Mary Jane's life situations are more realistic than Olivia's and maybe this makes her an easier character with which to connect. But honestly, how many women in the audience are driving Porsches, living on small compounds and anchoring a news show? I guess we could ask Tamron Hall if she feels like the portrayal is accurate... I like seeing powerful black female characters. I'm just not sure if their given weakness in this instance bothers me on principle or because it feeds and further fuels a fear that is not the monster that it has been made out to be. I'm leaning towards the latter.

On a different note, I do appreciate the beautifully filmed sex scenes in the show. Too often sex scenes with black women are reminiscent of scenes from Baby Boy and only aid in further their gross hypersexualization. One would think black women incapable of "making love" from most portrayals. Gorgeous lighting and highlighting the beauty of the black female body is something that needs to be done more often.

My feelings toward the show at the moment can be verbalized as "ehhhhhh IIIIII mmmmm," which is about a step or two before a "no." I'm going to continue watching. I want to see where Mara Brock Akil is going with this character. I'm about 80% sure that it won't make me happy, but there's still a 20% that I could be wrong. I'll just have to watch and see.

Check out the season premiere if you haven't seen it and make sure to tune in to the next episode so you can form a more rounded opinion for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment