Friday, January 17, 2014

Real Talk: Captain Phillips (2013)


This Golden Globe nominated, and now Academy Award nominated, film was, to put it plainly, really good. Captain Phillips (Tom Hanks) was just a guy doing his job who was put into a crazy, but not unknown, position. He had to protect his crew from Somalian pirates that had made their way on to his ship. He risked his life and in the end he and his crew got home safely. That is not to say that he wasn't affected by the experience or that a glimpse at the lives of some Somalians wasn't revealed. It is just to say that I hope to never be anywhere close to being in that position.

I decided to do a "real talk" instead of a review of this film because of a question one of my uncles asked me when I told him I'd seen it. He asked, "has this changed your view of Somali pirates?" I replied, "I didn't have a view of Somali pirates to begin with." Which, I didn't. Was I supposed to have a view? I knew that there were still pirates roaming the seas, but to me the notion of piracy had much more to do with stealing movies and music via the internet than with actual men on boats ransacking other men's boats (yes, I have revealed that I don't really think of pirates as being women. I blame Disney).

The question caused me to sit and think. Throughout the film, I did feel a bit sorry for the pirates. They weren't out there because they wanted to be; they were out there because they HAD to be out there. The safety of their people depended on being able to pay the brand of "pirates" we see at the very beginning of the film. Their backs were against a wall. However, I'd like to think of myself of someone who'd be strong enough to smash through said wall. Honestly, I don't know who's "right," but I appreciated director Paul Greengrass revealing both sides of the story and allowing the audience to see why those pirates were out there. This wasn't a matter of mere greed, but also one of survival.

Where is the line between right and wrong when your life and the lives of your loved ones are at stake? It does seem to become a bit blurred doesn't it? We're quite supportive of Liam Neeson taking out whoever's standing in the way of saving his daughter, but the pirate saying that he just wants the money and plans on hurting no one we find it a bit easier to lay blame upon. It's an interesting case to ponder. And once again, I'm glad that it is not my case to live.

If you haven't seen Captain Phillips, I highly suggest watching it. Make sure to section off a little think time afterward. It's good for you, I promise. Also, congratulations to Barkhad Abdi on his Oscar nomination.

No comments:

Post a Comment