Thursday, September 25, 2014

Real Talk: Blackish Pilot



I'm going to start off by saying that I'm ok with being the bad guy (or in this case "bad girl"). It doesn't bother me. I'm pretty sure that it comes with the territory of being a critic. So, with that being sad, I am not in love with Blackish as yet. Here's why:

The first half of the show was spent trying entirely too hard to address "being Black" or "blackness" or whatever you may choose to call it. I wasn't with it though I understood why it was happening (the title of the show says it all). And, I understand that this was a pilot is at the end of the day. It's just a start.

The second half of the show had a much better flow and better discussion between characters. Andre (Anthony Anderson) coming to the realization that he dosen't have to "black it up" as Sasheer Zamata once put it in one of her stand-up routines was a great way to bring the episode to a close.

I think that this show has potential. I just refuse to jump on the bandwagon as yet. I wasn't doubled over in laughter, though Lawrence Fishburne's character was a source of a few chuckles, like some of the Twitter and Instagram universes. Let's see where this goes and be happy to have Tracee Ellis Ross back on TV for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment